Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Chocolate Chip Cookies...English Style!

Anyone who knows me (Andrea) knows how much I LOVE cookies...especially chocolate chip cookies! Yummers! I've been missing baking them...so I ventured out to begin the journey! I found the process so amusing that I just had to blog about it! First, I think it took days and several trips to 3 different grocery stores to find the basic cookie ingredients (by the way, I just found vanilla today!).

Preheating the oven...don't forget that it's Celcius here! Thank goodness I remembered the equation...9/5*C+32=F!! Thanks to Jaylene, I now have the metric equalivent chart! Thanks Jaylene!

First, you must gather a few eggs. Don't go to the refrigerator to find them...they're in the cupboard!

Next, add brown sugar and butter. Brown sugar is hard to find...and I still haven't found butter yet (and we've been here for 1 month!). I really don't know where they hide it! Ha.Ha. I forgot to mention that UK refrigerators are 1/3 the size of standard American fridges...so you may find it amusing to hear that I found a SALE on Utterly Butterly...so I stocked up...which takes up a big part of our space! Ha.Ha.

Next, add the oats. We don't have a blender yet, so I tried using a knife to cut them up. That didn't last long...Also, oatmeal was hard to find...but then I realized that it doesn't exist! It's called "porridge" here. And, it was cheaper buying muesli and extracting the raisins and hazelnuts than buying straight-up porridge at Tesco! (I've since found them plain!...phew!)

I can't find chocolate chips anywhere..which is such a blessing! I have too much of an addiction. So a Cadbury bar sacrificed it's life for our cookies. Next time I'll get dark chocolate than milk chocolate.

Now bake the cookies for 7 minutes in the little oven!!

Waah-la! They're done! They look okay...but tasted very different. We'll try again next time...hopefully they're better!

Until then!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember trying to make chocolate chip cookies in Uganda- with M&Ms rather than chocolate chips, strange sugar, that container margarine stuff, no vanilla, and a cheap toaster oven. They always came out quite interesting!

Tony and Julie said...

Well done, Andrea! I am surprised to see that the process there is surprisingly similar to the process here in Peru! I guess I'll be in good practice when we get there. The sugar here is coarse so the cookies are a bit crunchy - but we are starting to prefer that taste, strangely enough. Chocolate chip cookies must be a truly American thing.