Thursday, March 6, 2008

Becoming British: Part I

This is the first part of a series on becoming British, that is, on acquiring the true markers of the Brits, so to live amongst them incognito. This first part has to do with the defining element of life here: one's football (soccer) team.


Aston Villa shield: the Lion, Rarr.

After much reflection and fasting, I've decided to support Aston Villa. That's right, I'm now what they call a 'Villan'. The reasons are simple. One: Villa is an old team, one of the founding twelve of 1888. Two: they're close to us, just a couple hours' drive away in Birmingham. Three: they're manager, Martin O'Neil, is a good coach and a neat guy. And four: they're good, darned good.


Villa Park in 1948, 70 years after the team was founded.

What this means in practice is that I'm now opposed to our arch rival, Birmingham City. When this name is mentioned, I become visibly angry and say bad things about them, really bad things--about their mothers, their breeding, and of course about their working-class accent. But our rivalry, I'm told, is not as bad as with other teams, so I don't stab, shoot, or generally maim them.


My guys doing their thing.

5 comments:

JaneeNoel said...

It was about 2 sentences into this post that it became abundantly clear that AJ was the blogger de jour.

Tony and Julie said...

A.J.,

Although I am disappointed that you did not choose Fulham, I am glad that you have a team in the Premiership.

Can't wait to talk to you about the big decision!

Tony

Tony and Julie said...

Oh, and #7 looks like a ballerina.

Anonymous said...

Now our friendship can take a step forward.
Did Favre's retirement had nothing to do with this?!?!?!

AJ and Andie Culp said...

For Tony and Julie: Yes, 7 looks like a ballerina because he plays for the other team. That's what we do to people.